Friday, January 22, 2021

We Love Our Artisans: Deborah Sanders Slocum

 In the next few weeks, we will be celebrating the amazing artisans and entrepreneurs who are part of The Cumberland Shop. I begin my overview of them with Deborah Sanders Slocum.

Deb SlocumI met Deborah in an unusual way. Last year, I was doing a major purge of my belongings in preparation for a remodel of my home. As I ripped drawers and closets apart, I was finding all kinds of goodies that I didn’t need or want and one of the things that I found was a huge bag of Kente cloth, handwoven in the country of Ghana, in the continent of Africa. I saved every large piece I had, but I just COULD NOT bring myself to throw away any of it. I had a few scattered pieces of smaller cloth that I believed that possibly a fabric artist or quilter could use to create something beautiful. This cloth is such unique handwoven fabric.


An example of the beautiful Kente cloth

A friend suggested I post concerning it on a Shippensburg Social Media Page and offer it to anyone interested. In a very short time, Deborah responded and I made arrangements to see that she got it. She shared with me that she had a friend who would probably love using this historically made traditional cloth fabric. YAY!

Of course, after that, I did what we all do, I stalked Deb on FB and began to “go wild” paging thru her many fab creations and later on the Foundry Website. Deb is skilled in many artistic mediums, but what drew me to her work initially was a painting she has working on that was overflowing with pinkish flowers. Before long she announced that it was sold and I began to ardently follow her in case another one like it should make its appearance and I would be able to purchase it. 

Deb is fabulously creative and talented. I can’t get enough of her things!

Soon after I “discovered her” we made arrangements for her to teach a painting class at a “Galentine’s Weekend” event, and we finally got to meet face to face. She is beautiful and when she teaches, she is patient and makes you feel like Van Gogh! I had a history in Art Education in another life, but painting wasn’t my thing. That night I felt like I could really get back into doing some leisurely painting again, in between the thousand other things I have my fingers in! LOL!

The gals with their finished pieces from Deb's class

In the shop, we feature Deb’s alcohol ink artistry on espresso sets, thermoses of varying sizes and uses, ceramic cups and mugs. She also does resin work on: cheese boards, beverage trays and their gorgeous matching coasters, paper weights (that I want all of!), jewelry, etc. She also does mini dishes, succulent planters that are TOO CUTE, and a variety of other things. I currently have a few ideas I want to throw at her, but I’ll share that with her in private.

Something else you need to know, Deb will do custom work for you. If we don’t have the colors you want, not a problem, she will do it.

One of the most unique gifts she offers (in my humble opinion) is a custom made paper weight, or whatever, made from resin and she can include inside it either a flower from a funeral spray, a flower from your bridal bouquet or whatever to make a piece that could truly be something passed down from generation to generation as a keepsake in your family. These pieces are STUNNING! You must have one, I have several and have trouble even passing them along as gifts! I want them ALL!

I have to admit, after I met Deborah, the idea that was already churning in me to open a store, began to gain momentum in my brain. All I could think was, this girl lives in Shippensburg...and I have to drive the whole way to Chambersburg to view her stuff. We have GOT to do something about this. I LOVE the Foundry, but when I need to GRAB a gift and run, I can’t always get there. When the idea for The Cumberland Shop was born, I knew the very first person I would ask to be a part of the dream was Deborah Sanders Slocum. You can imagine how thrilled I was (Major Happy Dance that day!) when Deb agreed to join hands with us. She is a foundational part of our very talented artisans at the shop and I think everyone should give her unique and artistically beautiful works as gifts, plus you should actually have several for yourself. I know I do!

In more good news, Deb has agreed to begin to teach some classes at The Cumberland Shop. So far we have two scheduled and we will add those links to this blog. Please sign up soon, spaces are limited due to COVID as we practice safe social distancing.

February 11 - Sign Up Here

March 11 - Sign Up Here

Please take the time to peruse the pictures here that show just some of the creative artistry from the hands of Deborah Sanders Slocum. Giving a gift made by Deb will demonstrate to the receiver just how much you love and appreciate them, as they are fashioned not because that is what Deb does for a living; they are created from a passionate, beautiful soul who puts her best into everything. When you have one of her pieces, you have small part of her heart, too.

The name Deborah means bee. And believe me, I am pretty sure it fits her, she is a creative non-stop! Keep buzzing, Deb! We can’t get enough of your stuff!







Linda's Yellow Door Studio at The Cumberland Shop

“I call this, ‘Love Blooms When The Heart is Ready'.” Linda stood there describing her piece, and tears pricked my eyes as I looked at t...